Ga naar inhoud

Parhelia preview

Aanbevolen berichten

• Reacties 290
  • Aangemaakt
  • Laatste reactie
Hun conclusie is ook itteressant: [quote:6289d4ed19][b:6289d4ed19]The Final Word[/b:6289d4ed19] [b:6289d4ed19]From what we can tell, the Matrox Parhelia is a victim of it's own massive hype. Everyone has been expecting this card to absolutely crush the competition and bring in a new era of Matrox-dominated graphics. Those who forecasted the downfall of nVidia and ATI at the hands of Matrox is most likely eating their words right now[/b:6289d4ed19]. As the benchmarks clearly show, nVidia is not giving up the 3D performance crown anytime soon. The Parhelia-128 is, and will no doubt continue to be a feature driven card; 3D performance still takes a backseat with Matrox as they focus on image quality and features instead. Raw speed and performance is obviously nVidia territory, but the Parhelia 128 is brimming over with all sorts of neat and useful features which make it valuable to lots of potential buyers in the market for a new graphics card. [b:6289d4ed19]While some will only look at the benchmark numbers and decide which graphics card to buy, others will choose to look at the whole picture and will see that the Parhelia-128 is a very well rounded graphics card. [/b:6289d4ed19] Ultra-sharp display outputs, high-resolution 2048 x 1536 Dual-DVI connectivity, tri-monitor configurations with Surround Gaming support, just a few things that the Parhelia-128 can do that the competition can't. While the long-term functionality of some of the new Matrox features like Hardware Displacement Mapping, or their 36-stage shader array system are questionable, it doesn't diminish the fact that the Parhelia has a lot of great features available to users today. Sure, the pure 3D performance aspect is somewhat disappointing to us. Both nVidia and ATI graphics cards hold gains over Matrox's Parhelia in the majority of benchmarks, although the Parhelia-128 does compete quite well when image quality goes to extremely high levels. While we have little doubt that Matrox provided us a sample card that isn't 100% finalized and uses beta drivers, the Parhelia 128MB numbers you've seen today should be exactly the same as the shipping variants which should be hitting store shelves within the next two weeks. Even after running the benchmarks and seeing the numbers, we still like the Parhelia-128. It's much more of a hybrid gamers / workstation card than we've seen from any other manufacturer, and no doubt holds a lot of appeal for gamers who want the absolute best quality from their display cards. [b:6289d4ed19]Matrox may not have the fastest car on the drag strip, but their car certainly has the most style. Let's hope this is only the beginning from the Parhelia family, and that it just gets better from here on out[/b:6289d4ed19]. [/quote:6289d4ed19] zitten goeie opmerkingen in vind ik. Na wat nieuwe drivers word ie wel sneller. en verder bied hij dingen die nVidia en Ati niet bieden, Alleen de R300 staat om de hoek!
Link naar reactie
[quote:eb16355e10][b:eb16355e10]Why all the Crying [/b:eb16355e10]? - Tuesday, June 25 | Solomon Man... I feel bad for Matrox in how some sites have treated their new Parhelia card. We have another contestant to add to the crackers and whine section: Active Hardware. Why in the world would anyone write such a post without even experiencing the card for him or her self? Yeah yeah yeah, at the end they say that Matrox didn't send him a card. How many sites are going to keep doing this? Matrox is a private company and therefore maybe doesn't have in their budget to send out a card to every tom, dick, and harry? Oh, I love this one: "In short, in our humble opinion, Matrox's Parhelia 512 offers performance that will not fear any of its competitors. Well no kidding! Matrox even stated it wasn't going to compete with Nvidia nor ATi. Get with the program folks. At least do the research. What is up with the percentages given? Saying the ATi & Nvidia cards are beating out the Parhelia by over 141% and in some cases by 171%? What math class did they graduate from? For shits and giggles let's share what percentages he's calculating. Hot Hardware is spitting out for Quake 3: 175.4fps and for the ATi card it's 247.5fps. Can someone tell me how you can see a 141% increase on this? Anyone? I would estimate it as close to 41%. 141%? I highly doubt that. How about this one to boot: "As a fact, when we compare the Parhleia 512 $399us tag price announced by Matrox to the street price of the Ti4600 that varies between $309us and $345us we immediately understand that the interest for this graphic card drops dramatically and become almost nul." This one is a total laugher. Would you look at the "Features", yes I said features and get past the frame rate counter and you can see why they can offer the card for $399.99. Sheeeesh People! Would you see what Matrox is saying and offering before opening your mouth. Sorry for the rant, but this is the worst acceptance I've ever seen for a video card in my doing 3DChipset.com. People are just so stuck on frame rate it's mind boggling. I remember back in the day when getting 40fps was the rage. Now I guess if you are not over 70fps the card is utter garbage? Plus, the relentless crying about not getting a card. What is up with that? Is it coming to the point where various websites just expect the product under any circumstances? Sad, very sad. [/quote:eb16355e10] http://www.3dchipset.com/
Link naar reactie
Achteraf is makkelijk praten.... :roll: De kaart is gewoon bedoeld for heavy abuse ;) Je moet kijken naar de echte zware apps ten opzichte van de huidige. Het probleem van nu is dat de meeste zware apps nVidia optimized zijn. Ik heb een aantal reviews gelezen, maar ik vraag mij af of er nu ook Matrox demo's zijn. Afhankelijk van de grafische weergave daarvan kun je ook wat zeggen over de GPU.
Link naar reactie
[b:8ed264aaa2]First off JC starts with a small apology to Matrox over his comments on their Displacement Mapping technique:[/b:8ed264aaa2] [i:8ed264aaa2]"Their implementation of hardware displacement mapping is NOT quad based. I was thinking about a certain other companies proposed approach. Matrox's implementation actually looks quite good, so even if we don't use it because of the geometry amplification issues, I think it will serve the noble purpose of killing dead any proposal to implement a quad based solution."[/i:8ed264aaa2] [b:8ed264aaa2]Next JC talks about the the 3Dlabs P10 (Wildcat VP) board recently sent to him, in which he states that he had one of the least 'glitch free' brin-ups for a while, with only a few issues. He goes on to say:[/b:8ed264aaa2] [i:8ed264aaa2]"Given the good first impression, I was willing to go ahead and write a new back end that would let the card do the entire Doom interaction rendering in a single pass. The most expedient sounding option was to just use the Nvidia extensions that they implement, NV_vertex_program and NV_register_combiners, with seven texture units instead of the four available on GF3/GF4. Instead, I decided to try using the prototype OpenGL 2.0 extensions they provide."[/i:8ed264aaa2] [b:8ed264aaa2]Further to his comments on OpenGL 2.0 after admitting his liking for the API, JC adds:[/b:8ed264aaa2] [i:8ed264aaa2]"I am now committed to supporting an OpenGL 2.0 renderer for Doom through all the spec evolutions. If anything, I have been somewhat remiss in not pushing the issues as hard as I could with all the vendors. Now really is the critical time to start nailing things down, and the decisions may stay with us for ten years. "[/i:8ed264aaa2] This can be seen as good news indeed for OpenGL 2.0 in the gaming environment. No doubt 3Dlabs have had the support of many CAD/CAM software producers however having someone as vocal and active as John Carmack picking it up for the gaming environment can only help in nailing down a fully useful specification and bring it to us sooner. [b:8ed264aaa2]Finally, JC talks about the current state of higher level shader languages that are appearing:[/b:8ed264aaa2] [i:8ed264aaa2]"I do need to get up on a soapbox for a long discourse about why the upcoming high level languages MUST NOT have fixed, queried resource limits if they are going to reach their full potential. I will go into a lot of detail when I get a chance, but drivers must have the right and responsibility to multipass arbitrarily complex inputs to hardware with smaller limits. Get over it."[/i:8ed264aaa2] http://www.shacknews.com/finger/?fid=johnc@idsoftware.com
Link naar reactie
Uiteraard zijn de Jappaners weer het eerste: [quote:19c367b0b7] It seems that Matrox Parhelia is already spotted in Japanese stores since last friday. Akiba took some snapshots and could buy it for 59800 Yen, that's ~500 Euro and is somewhat higher than the suggested retail price of ~420 Euro. 500 Euro is about 440-450 USD. [img:19c367b0b7]http://www.guru3d.com/-/20020701-01.jpg[/img:19c367b0b7] [img:19c367b0b7]http://www.guru3d.com/-/20020701-02.jpg[/img:19c367b0b7][/quote:19c367b0b7] hoe doen ze het elke keer weer !?
Link naar reactie

Gearchiveerd

Dit topic is nu gearchiveerd en gesloten voor verdere reacties.

• Populaire leden

Er is nog niemand die deze week reputatie heeft ontvangen.

• Leden

Geen leden om te tonen

• Nieuwe aanmaken...